The following tips will help your baby get the best start in life:
- Breastfeed your baby for as long as possible
- Breastmilk is perfectly formulated for infants with the perfect balance of proteins, fats, and vitamins, including “healthy” fats that promote brain development. The content of the milk changes even throughout the day, depending on what the infant needs.
- Breastmilk provides protection for baby’s immature immune system. Mom’s antibodies get transferred to baby, protecting them from viruses that they would otherwise be susceptible to.
- Children who are breastfed have less incidence of allergies and asthma later on in life.
- Breastfeeding helps the bonding process, and lets baby get close to mom.
- Exclusive breastfeeding for 4 to 6 months
- Early introduction to solids increases the likelihood of allergies, due to baby’s immature GI system.
- “Wear” your baby, especially after feeding
- Avoid extra linens and stuffed animals in baby’s bed
- These types of things may contribute to SIDS and allergies.
- No smoking, even outside, if the smoker will be around the baby within the next hour.
- Smoke sticks to clothing and can still irritate baby’s respiratory passages.
- Healthy diet for mom:
- Lots of fresh veggies and high quality protein (eggs, nuts, soy, pea protein shakes, lamb, chicken).
- Plenty of fluid, at least 8, 8oz glasses of water, diluted juices, or herbal tea, per day.
- Supplement with high quality essential fatty acids (fish oil) and probiotics. Ask for more info about types and dosages.
If you have any more tips that have worked for you and your baby, please tell us by commenting below and let everyone benefit!! And as always, if you have any questions, please just Ask Dr. Tara!!